Friday, January 30, 2009

Testament

Hebrews 9
15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new TESTAMENT, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first TESTAMENT, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a TESTAMENT is, there must also of necessity be the death of the TESTATOR.
17 For a TESTAMENT is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the TESTATOR liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first TESTAMENT was dedicated without blood.
20 Saying, This is the blood of the TESTAMENT which God hath enjoined unto you.


I'd never wondered about the word "testament" until I read these verses last night.

"Testament" is...you know...like...the old and new testaments. Yes, there's a "last will and testament" too, but I guess that's something different...right?

I never thought much about what the word means.

But when I read the word "testament" in connection with "death" and "testator," I sat up straighter. I figured the word must be pretty solemn and important.

So I looked it up.


"Testament: A legal document which deals with the distribution of one's personal property upon the event of one's death."

I think I will always have my pocket dictionary around from now on, when I'm reading my Bible.

Death. Whose death? Why, Christ's, of course. That much is obvious.

But O what riches the mind is led into when pondering this thought for longer than the moment! Christ's riches? They are boundless! He is the only begotten of the Father, dearly beloved. All things are granted unto Him. He owns and is the creator of every thing, past and present. The Heaven of heavens cannot contain Him.

His property? He is the Son and heir of the Father. All the unsearchable riches of God's grace are His. All the mercy, love...it is all His, bestowed lovingly and willing upon Him.

And are we not heirs with Christ, if we are bought with His blood? This would not be possible - this sharing of His riches - if it were not for His death. It is because of His death we are made partakers:

16 For where a TESTAMENT is, there must also of necessity be the death of the TESTATOR.
17 For a TESTAMENT is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the TESTATOR liveth.


And where does this legal document exist?

I hold a copy in my hands! The precious old and new testaments; they list the boundless benefits we receive because of Christ's death. They not only list the things Jesus is; they tell us that we share this with Him. Only Jesus could have planned this; to die, in order that we might share His riches, then rise in order to be our Lord!

Does your heart quiver only a little at this thought? That when we read of how Jesus has access to the Father, and all the Father's love, and all the Father's ear, we may claim these things too? That we may claim the family name of Christ? That we may call ourselves His brethren?

11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them BRETHREN,

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his BRETHREN, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
(Hebrews 2: 11&17)


Whoa! This is the same Jesus that John describes in Revelation 1:

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.


This same Jesus - willing to call us brethren? Yes! And not only willing to call us that, but to bind Himself to us in a legal document; the Testaments.

I'm so glad I took the time to look up that word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading in the Bible about Jesus being our high priest and advocate before God the Father. And most of all, reading about how He is are elder brother and we are now His younger brothers and sisters, and how we are co-heirs with Him :)

Thanks so much for digging deeper, Amber =]