Monday, August 4, 2008

Schedules

Today is Monday.

If you've been one of my blog readers for a length of time, you know that I have volunteered myself to be the Crazy Monday Housekeeper at our home. "Crazy," because it's Monday, and I volunteered myself.

I hope we're not the only household that has a messy house at the end of Saturday and Sunday. It's really quite intimidating to wake up on a Monday morning. But I figured that if I can handle a messy kitchen on the worst day of the week, I can handle it anytime.

So that's how I spend my Monday mornings; doing dishes, sweeping floors, clearing counters, and doing some loads of laundry.

This may sound crazy, but in a way, I like Mondays. Not because I adore doing dishes and laundry, but I like the rhythmic secure feeling that comes from doing the same thing in the same order every Monday morning, week after week. Schedules are wonderful things.

Sadly, I'm not as good at keeping the other days of my week on such a consistent schedule. Partly because I'm lazy, and partly because they are not as predictable. But yesterday I decided to change that.

So, this morning, I took 30 minutes of my busy morning to type and print out blank schedule sheets that I designed on the computer. I will fill them in as soon as I get some time today. (Ironic, isn't it, that I must take time to schedule time?)

The reason for my sudden resolution was the following verses:

"For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light: (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. ...See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is." (Eph. 5:8-10&15-17)

"She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household...she girdeth her loins with strength...She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness..." (Proverbs 31)




I became very aware of many places in which I was wasting my time, and how my life could be lived, and how much more productive I could be. God has given me only a vapor of time! I must use it the best I can - not good, nor better, but BEST!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Me too! Me too! Mondays are my cleaning days too. Our house always looks rather disasterous on Sunday night since starting on Saturday I tend to not give it the care I normally do on week-days, since my husband is home from work. (Isn't that awful?) Thankfully it only takes a morning to get everything back in order again, with the afternoon free for laundry that has piled up over the weekend. Your schedule idea is a good one. I have a mental schedule but it's a sort of dream-like, concept-ish schedule instead of something such as a list.