Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Marathon Continues...

The week is progressing so fast! Thankfully, our family is accomplishing things slowly but surely.

Today Mom and Dad went shopping together to pick out paint, wallpaper border, and molding for the kitchen. It's going to be so pretty when it's all put together! ...'Specially compared to the "before" pictures. :) I love the colors Mom chose.

My own special project is also coming along. Today I spent all morning (9:00- 11:30) sanding. My younger sister, Tiffany, came down to the workshop for the second day in a row. She's SUCH a help! I was able to accomplish twice as much with her assistance, and she loved knowing that she was - as she put it - "actually helping you!"

I think younger siblings feel more than we realize. They know when we think they're in the way. They can't possibly enjoy feeling like a hindrance. What a sparkle came into Tiffany's eyes when she saw that I couldn't have done what I did this morning without her! Sanding is something that she can actually do, and do well. She loved that. ...You know what? I did too.

By far, the Fruit of the Spirit exceeds the Fruits of the Hands in beauty. I have been learning lately that I ought to pray every morning for the fruit of the Spirit to be in me. Kindness...joy...love... all these things surpass any material thing I could create. And they can only come through the power of the Holy Spirit. The new birth alone will make a tree that is able to bear such fruit. That is also something I've been learning lately.

...But back to this morning.

I was really hoping to finish the sanding today. And I did! I estimate that I've spent about 20 hours in sanding the whole project, and for about 4 hours of that time, Tiffany was helping me. If I had been alone, it would have taken that much longer. As it was, I thought we would never finish! So many nooks and crannies!

This evening, right before supper, I moved everything outside and went over everything with a cloth to remove the sawdust. Tomorrow, I hope to start staining!

Other news from today: I was finally able to upload some pictures! 82 of them, to be exact. I guess they really have been piling up. At the rate I post pictures, that store ought to last me a year. :)

So... what to share first? That's the big question. Food pictures; what I've been baking lately (well, when I still had a kitchen)? Pictures of the kitchen in progress? Picture of painting the shutters, last week? Pictures of the garden? Pictures of singing at a widows' home...several weeks ago? Pictures of painting the deck?

Then, of course, there are the pictures of my quilt-in-progress, that I still haven't shown you, and...and...and...

Oh yes - more big news! Dad was really sweet, and took all his daughters on a picnic yesterday. We drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping at many of the outlooks, and had lunch at one, with a spectacular view below us. We spent the entire morning, just with Dad, walking, driving, looking, taking pictures, eating, and talking. It was wonderful.

A whole week on "vacation," and no special activities done with his family just wouldn't go for Dad. Tonight he's taking his sons camping, with plans to hike in the morning. What a father I have! Lots of work to be done, but he took pains to make sure we got some family time in this week. Thanks, Daddy. We love you!

Of course we took lots of pictures yesterday, on the picnic. Those pictures aren't even included in the 82 I uploaded. Upload pictures the day after you take them? Impossible! :)

So what do y'all think? Should we make it easy, and just go in chronological order? Or should we make it interesting and have a vote? Or should I just show whatever I can't wait to show? Or should I blow every one's monitors, and load all 82 photos on one post, with more to come later?

Until y'all help me decide, here are two pictures from yesterday, which I stole from my sister's blog (she always seems to upload faster than I do!):


We ate our lunch at this outlook. Beautiful view!










Oh yes. And on the way home, guess what we found in the road - all alive and everything? For those of you who are wondering; yes, it is a rattlesnake.


Sweet dreams!

No comments: