Friday, April 25, 2008

Whatever happened to family?

She looketh well to the ways of her household...
Prov. 31:27

Welcome to Family Fridays!
Something struck me as odd yesterday.
My family (well, most of my family) has been doing some things on a college campus during the past week. Living in a college town is interesting, but we don't always go up on campus very often.

Yesterday, my mother, my three youngest siblings, and I were walking through a crowded building that would have made the labyrinth look simple. We had a legitimate reason to be there, but the fact remained that we were the only group in that college building that had people under 13 with us.

I wish I were a better descriptive writer. You should have seen the looks we got.

I felt as if we had landed on a strange planet, where children were unknown. Hadn't these people ever seen children before?

Then it struck me that, due in part to the victories evolution has won in our culture, most of America is brainwashed into the "segregated" mindset. Young and old aren't really suppose to mix. That's carried over into every area of public life - from school to many churches.

That's the opposite of what the Bible teaches.

According to the word of God:

"The aged woman likewise, ...that they may teach the young women...to love their children..."
And "these words which I command thee this day shall be in thine heart; and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children..."

And "hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding. For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. He taught me..."
I'm glad that I've chosen to remain in my family unit in my 'older' years, instead of moving out on my own. Rubbing shoulders with all ages is healthy, stimulating, and biblical. That doesn't mean I can't study, and learn, and minister as a separate person. That doesn't mean I don't have I a separate life. I do.

But I am learning to serve others, and think of others more than myself. Even Jesus pleased not Himself, but obeyed His Father. Think that copying Him is going to rob me of my joy?

Not hardly.

No comments: