Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fruit Inside

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22-23


I say down at the computer, and out of the corner of my eye I looked out the window next to me.

The heavy covering of clouds in the sky looked like the faint but intricate pattern of stitching on the back of a quilt. The bright green of all the grass and the moss on the trees hinted at the rain we've had all week.

Though the plants have grown considerably, and I was able to get out and plant 2 packages of carrot seeds between rain showers, there really isn't enough change in our garden this week to justify a "Growin Garden" post.

Or maybe I'm just not chipper enough to be enthusiastic.

Have you ever had a day when everything makes you either groan, cry, or scream?

"I wanted to do a post about our garden - and look at the weather." I slumped in the chair and grumbled to Mom. I had already made other post suggestions that she had shook her head at. "WELL, what am I gonna post about?"

"Why don't you post about the fruit of the Spirit?"

A brilliant suggestion, I thought, though I wasn't about to open my pouting mouth and say so. I fetched my Bible, and opened to Galatians. I typed the verses on the screen of the computer, than started thinking.

Nice fruit I've shown today.

First, I planned to get a big day of sewing done - well, actually, I planned to cut out the pieces for a dress. For this I need our big table in the kitchen. But today Dad and my brother Curtis are installing a water filter under our kitchen sink, so tools, rust, water pipes, bottles, and general dirt dominate our kitchen today. Of course they didn't know that I'd planned to use the kitchen table...so why did I stand there glaring and tapping my foot?

Then, Mom gave me an unexpected job to do right after breakfast, which made me miss doing something I wanted to do, and it took longer than Mom thought it was going to take me, so she kept urging me to finish, and I snapped at her, and practically made the whole house miserable because I was miserable.

I have a huge To Do list of letters to write, books to finish reading, bread to make, and music to practice - all before tomorrow - but I just felt mopey and didn't get much of anything done this morning. I don't think I've smiled once yet today.

Right now, thinking back over the morning, I realize I have good reason to cry, not smile. I've been terrible!

Love? Joy? Peace? Longsuffering?

Yeah right. Not me. Not this morning.

Who cares about a garden if I'm not producing the right fruit? What kind of witness have I been?

Oh, dear sisters in Christ, let's pray for one another! I sure need it. Skills like gardening, sewing, and cooking are beautiful and helpful, but they don't compare to the beauty and helpfulness of a meek and quiet spirit.

Instead of running a hoe through the dirt today, I need to cultivate that meek and quiet spirit. I know where the only place to get meekness and peace from is. I know Who gives the peace that passes all understanding. I need to follow through with what I know in my head, and get my heart in the right place.

And......because Mom and Dad have taught me that life goes on, and the world can't stop just 'cause I want it to....
...I think I'll do my praying while I mix up some bread dough and practice my music.

2 comments:

Sommer said...

Amber~

Thank you for that reminder! I think every one of us has that kind of day...I have them more often than I'd really like to admit. Thank you for pointing this out and perhaps you'll pray for me too:-)

Lots of love,
Sommer

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that.

Personally, I've found it to be that it's when my eyes are looking INWARD rather that UPWARD first, then AROUND to others.

May the Lord help us to keep Looking unto JESUS, and remember JOY - Jesus first, Others next, Yourself last.

a sister in Christ,
Amy in NY