Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Starting Young

Today my youngest sister asked me "Amber, when did you start cooking?"

I was standing at the table making apple pie, and she was sitting nearby, snacking on apple peelings.

"...Hmm, I don't know," I replied. "I've been cooking ever since I can remember."

"I've been cooking since Christmas," she informed me. She's 7 years old, and has been helping in the kitchen since she was very young, but only lately has she baked a few things "alone" (minimum supervision). She got a cookbook for Christmas, and has been thrilled by trying out the recipes.

My brother was baking in the kitchen right after I finished. He made granola bars and crumble coffee cake - mmmm! He's 12.

Isn't this cool? They're starting young, and their food tastes great. Way to go, Mom! You're a good trainer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having read some of your older posts, you seem to accept your kitchen flops well ... an area in my life that needs much fine-tuning!

I just came across your blog ... continue sharing! It's a blessing!

-a sister in Christ in NY