Friday, March 7, 2008

Certified?

Have any of you heard about the legal battle going on in California over homeschooling?

I can't believe what America has become. ...In a way I can, however. It's sad when I start getting accustomed to sin, isn't it?

So a child isn't being well-educated unless he is taught by a certified teacher? Hmm...Well, Deut. 6 says that the parents are to teach their children everywhere, and Proverbs contains numerous commands for a son to listen to his father and mother...I would say the Bible commands parents to teach their children, and does not hand that responsibility over to anyone else.

If parents are able and responsible for their child's spiritual well-being, can't they handle the mental education? Which is harder, after all?

My parents chose to educate me and my siblings at home for spiritual reasons. They wanted control over what belief systems were being fed to my young naive mind. That's right and good; I belong to my parents, not the state. Dad and Mom taught me to love my country, and serve her, but to serve God first.

I pray that God would keep me from the sin of having a "holier than thou" attitude, and looking down my nose at public or christian school students, but I am not ashamed to say that I think homeschooling is the best option. I know that I would not have the spiritual foundation I have now if my parents had sent me out into the world to be taught.

I have heard some Christians say "yes, but the homeschoolers could help the public schools - be a good influence, you know." Sorry, but it's like gardening: #1: The weeds grow faster than the plants. #2: You don't set tiny seedlings out in December. You harden them off, and let them mature. Now I am considered an adult, legally, and I spend much more time "in the world."
I have roots now - in my home, and in God. I am not going forth to be taught. I am going forth to witness.

Anyway, I can't help but think of something I've heard my mother say. She went to college and was educated to be a teacher. When she tells folks that they think "Ahh, so you really have a reason to homeschool. You know what you're doing. You're certified."

Mom shakes her head. She's told me that her teachers' education hasn't helped her much at all. It's not her diploma that makes her such a great teacher. It's her love for her students.

1 comment:

Claire said...

am, i don't know why, but this post is one i really like.