Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Because I'm still getting back in the swing of things...

...I don't have any pictures of what I've been doing lately. (Not that pictures of unpacking suitcases and hanging laundry and washing dishes are really thrilling anyway.)

So I thought y'all might enjoy getting a peek into my hopechest. A while back I shared pictures of a quilt that is destined for my hopechest, and now you'll see something that is already packed away there.

...The faint scent of cedar hangs in the air whenever I open the lid of my chest and lift something out.

...My bedside lamp lights up the interior of the chest, making the glossy wood shine.

...I run my hands tenderly over each object in the chest - each one holds a memory or a hope.

...If I take everything out of the chest, I know I will see the letters burned in one bottom corner; "To Amber...." a message to me from my Dad, and the date he finished building this chest.

...But enough. I must take out and unfold my afghan to get good pictures of it. I can't help gasping as I shake it open and lay it over my bed. It's so big! Because it's tucked away all the time, I always forget just how large this project was. ...And how much work went into it.

Even though I made this thing, I always shake my head in amazement and awe when I look at it. That's not pride, really! The pattern was a lovely one, and who doesn't like to handle soft squares made out of yarn, that are pleasantly thick and in all sorts of patterns? ...no matter who made them? I just love yarn! ...though fabric is the most fun!



This afghan contains 63 squares, all made with different stitches. Before I started this project, I knew only 3 0r 4 stitches. I love the variety! It used....uh....a TON of yarn, and took me many months to complete. The colors I chose are the colors I'd like to use in my own home some day.

Here you can see a little more detail, though the lighting really isn't good enough to show what this looks like in life. This is a heavy blanket, and very warm!

One more thing.

A thought for the day....

This morning I discovered that my little sisters are going to do a study on Proverbs 31 for school, and I overheard Mom telling them that many things in that chapter can apply to them right now, even though they are just young girls.

Even though I'm not a little girl anymore, many times I think that parts of this chapter don't apply to me yet. I'm not a mother. I'm not a wife. How can my husband be known in the gates? How can my children rise up and call me blessed?

I believe God has called me to be a wife and mother someday. I know that He doesn't want me to mope around waiting for Prince Charming, though. He wants me to serve the family I have right now.

When I look at verses in the Bible that pertain to wives or mothers, I am tempted to shrug them off. And yes, some of the direct commands really can't be applied in my life. ...But I can look at the spirit of the commands and apply them.

So a virtuous woman's husband should be known in the gates? ...My conduct should be honoring to my father, and give him a good name in the places he goes.
So her children will rise up and call her blessed? ...I should show such kindness to my siblings and help them so much that when they look back on their growing up years in this home, they will say "Amber influenced me for the good! I'm so glad I had a sister like her!"

Wow. I sure have a job to do.

No comments: