Thursday, March 6, 2008

Fustration and Biscuits

Yesterday I was given a lesson on the subject of patience. I was so much hoping that I could finish a quilt that I am working on, so I could share some pictures here, and show that I really am accomplishing some things!

So much for pride, and so much for quilting! I was zipping along at a nice speed, thinking how wonderful it would be to have this project finished (I've been working on this quilt since June 2007)....when it happened. I ran out of thread. A quick peek in my storage tin revealed that I had no back-up spool of navy colored thread. Oh dear.

So I picked up a clothing project that I had put off for several months because I was trying to finish my quilt. "If I can't finish my quilt project, I can at least finish this one," I tried to think cheerfully.

Ten minutes later, I stared at my second spool of thread....my empty spool of thread. Oh dear. No back-up spool of brown thread, either.

So...my apologies, but there will be no beautiful pictures of finished quilts today. Instead, I offer you a recipe that has brought smiles to so many faces every time I serve it at our table. I mentioned it in a post a few days ago: my sweet potato biscuits. The recipe is adapted from a Taste of Home magazine. ( A great magazine, by the way! ...But I always have to tweak everything I bake.)

Sweet Potato Biscuits

2 cups white whole wheat flour (home-ground
is really good!)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 TBS cold butter
3 TBS shortening
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
6 TBS milk, soured with 1 capful lemon juice

In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon with a fork. (If all ingredients are cold, you will have flakier biscuits.) Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sweet potatoes - do not stir; pour milk with lemon juice over the sweet potatoes. Now stir everything together just until combined. Turn onto floured surface. (I usually end up adding 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour more into the dough at this time; it is very sticky, but don't overdo it.) Knead a few times, and pat out to 1/2" thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until turning golden on top (this is slightly hard to judge, as the biscuits have a golden color from the sweet potatoes, but if they are a little moist in the middle, no harm done! They still taste good!) Serve warm (That piece of instruction was in the original recipe, but I have yet to discover what harm comes from serving these biscuits cold, as I have never had leftovers of these, even when I double the recipe.) Yield: 10-12 biscuits.


Hope you enjoy these as much as we do! If the thought of sweet potatoes in biscuits scares you off as weird, just work up the courage to give them a try - it's worth it!

2 comments:

KrystaSolaris said...

Ahhh, thread.Gotta wonder if it does that on purpose! I can't make biscuits to save my life... but I'll bet those are good. Taste of Home is my favorite (at least it would be, if I liked cooking!)

Claire said...

you know, amber, you can also use vinegar to sour your milk, or (just in case you didn't know) use buttermilk. it makes great pancakes, as well.