Friday, April 17, 2009

Rosemary

I planted the first of my herbs today! Rosemary.

Though it is the first herb I've planted so far, I didn't think I would actually plant this herb this year. It was on my wish list, but I intended to start with oregano and sweet basil, since I've grown them before, and get to rosemary, chives, and dill if I had time and money. But a kind new friend gave me a cutting of rosemary today, and I've just planted it out in our garden! Incidentally, the Internet says April is the best time for planting rosemary. Perfect.

So....now I need advice! Any care suggestions, or - more exciting - suggestions for how to harvest and use this lovely-smelling plant?

Oh yes - the scent. I'd heard great things about the fragrance of rosemary, but couldn't imagine what it smelled like. Today I got my first whiff, and I'm hooked. What a wild, tangy smell! I like it!

1 comment:

hannah said...

We love rosemary, too! It is very easy to grow, and I like the fact that it doesn't go to seed like other herbs usually do. I just clip a small branch or two to use fresh in cooking, crushing/chopping to release the fragrance.

Then at the end of the season (it doesn't handle the cold well), I have cut the whole plant down and after rinsing the branches, lay them out on paper towels to air-dry for a day or two. Then I strip the leaves from the stalk and store. Great for winter seasoning, such as roasted potatoes/veggies or chicken soup.

Hope yours turns out well!