Thursday, May 15, 2008

One Day In My Life

Okay, this post will probably be overloaded with pictures, but I want to share with y'all the lovely day I had on Wednesday. At least, since I'm posting on a library computer, I don't have the temptation to be too lengthy.

On Wednesday I celebrated yet another year the Lord has given to me on this earth. What mercy! I also felt like celebrating that my family has put up with me for so long. (smile)

My request of my parents was that we spend the morning at my favorite spot on God's green earth; the Blue Ridge Parkway, near the Peaks of Otter. I think of Flat Top and Sharp Top as my mountains, and I love to be near them - and on them! The views are magnificent.

Anyway, we cooked breakfast over the open flame....of a camp stove. :) Pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage never tasted so good. 'Specially when the pancakes were drowned in 100% pure maple syrup from New York.

Granted, the pancakes didn't look that lovely. Since the cook top wasn't on a perfectly flat surface the batter made odd shapes, and since the flame didn't get hot enough, some were gooey inside. But I take all the blame, since I was the person tending to them. (It all happened just to take me down a peg or two, after my post on how "expert" I am at making pancakes!)
(My sister Heather, warming up with a cup of coffee.)


After breakfast we went hiking. The beauty in the area this time of year is just breathtaking. Mountain laurel of all colors lit up the trail, and goldenrod and other flowers peeped out from between shiny green leaves.


Our hike took us to an old farm, from the 1930s, which, during the summer, is outfitted like it used to be, and open to visitors. When we arrived, however, the cleaning crew was there, and though several pieces of furniture were set up, no linens or details were in place.

I didn't mind. We had the place to ourselves! The folks who were cleaning the place up were very welcoming and helpful - we got our own tour, then got to explore wherever we wanted to on our own. No crowds. Freedom to explore the nooks and crannies. Perfect.

I love old house. 'Specially old farmhouses. This one was wonderful. I love history!

I snapped pictures of everything. I thought I'd share some of the sewing-related pictures with y'all.
I think I need to use this idea! Isn't that handy for getting a quilting frame out of the way when you're not using it? ...Now if I could just find some eye screws....


And this lovely sewing machine. It's the original, that the lady of the house used. ...Though, as our tour guide said "she wasn't much of a homemaker - she would rather be out tending to her veggies and flowers." I wanted to asked why tending to plants made her "not a homemaker," but decided not to bother. Anyway, haven't you always wanted to use one of these? I have.

When we got home, we had a lovely lunch of subs and ice cream cake. Then my family gave me some wonderful gifts, and I spent the afternoon out in our garden. I got my first harvest of beets! Granted, they are small and tender, but I had to thin them out anyway, and I'd rather eat them them throw them in the compost pile! I also snapped a photo of my single marigold that has opened up.


In the evening, after supper, we all headed out to church for midweek prayer service, which was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.

That's just a brief summary of one day in my life. Of course, it wasn't typical, ...but in a way it was like other days, because I was surrounded by love. That happens every day, and I'm so glad it does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy late Birthday Amber! Sounds like you had a very fun and blessed day!