Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Absolutely the BEST kitchen tip I've ever recieved

I've been planning to share this one for quite awhile.

I don't remember when or where I heard it, but it works extremely well, and I use it ALL the time, unlike some of those obscure tips that I keep in the back of my head for those rare occasions when I'll be able to use them.

In fact, it's so great that some of you may already know it.

First, the problem:

Screw-on lids that won't open. You know the scenario; you're baking bread, you reach for the yeast, and the silly jar won't open. You practically sprain your wrist in an effort to get the lid off that jar. Or you're trying to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and those luscious little red strawberries remain sealed away from you, just because you can't open the jelly jar.

Solution:

(Drum roll, please!)

A rubber band!

I'm not kidding. Those little things brothers shoot all over the house, and collect because they want to use them for millions of curious things? They come in a variety of colors and sizes, but for our purposes, I've found that the absolutely best source and size comes from celery.

If you buy celery at a grocery store, most of the time the bunches come with a thick sturdy green rubber band around them. Save it! And keep it in a convenient place.

Then, next time you're stuck with a jar that won't open, stretch the rubber band around the edge of the lid, and use it to give you a good grip as you twist. Works amazingly wonderfully!

The first time I did this, I couldn't believe the results. From then on, I kept the rubber band on a shelf above our kitchen sink, and used it all the time.

A few weeks ago, I actually came to a jar that would not open, even with the band. That was a first. It was an old honey jar, with honey dried in the cracks between the lid and jar. I have opened plenty of honey jars using the rubber band method, but this one was really stuck.

Thankfully, my brother got it open.

I just thought I'd better put that disclaimer in; there was a jar in this world that the rubber band couldn't open. But now that y'all know I had it, there's no need to worry. :)

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Great tip. Thanks.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Cool! I'm going to have to find some rubber bands. :D

Anonymous said...

Great tip and a cute post. :) Thanks!

Susan said...

Brilliant. I am getting my rubber bands ready now. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I have a rubber "gripper" thing, but sometimes it is hiding when I need it...

Susan said...

This does work great. Also, if you have rubber cleaning gloves, they work in a snap as well.

Susan

Ashley said...

That's a great tip!