Thursday, March 19, 2009

Patience

Why is it, that when you want to find something, and you can't, you get so mad?

Why is it that I get so mad?

Everybody has pet peeves, and one of mine is being unable to find things. ...Things like camera cards that contain pictures I wanted to upload to my blog. Yes, things like that.

While walking around the house looking for something, feeling annoyed, the last thing you want is to have someone ask you a question.

"Can you help me with this?"

"Did you borrow my brush?"

"Do you want to hear me play this?"

"Can I borrow your walkie-talkies?"

"Did you take my book?"

"Do you want to play with me?"

How tempting it is to shout "no!" But, really, does it take any more effort to say it pleasantly?

That question occurred to me this morning. I wanted to shout "no!" but forced myself not to. I'm sure my family could still tell I was upset, but at least I had curtailed my anger to some degree, and therefore got a work out in self-control. I hadn't shouted, when I had wanted to shout.

It's just as easy to say it pleasantly.

Is it? In a way, no - it's not easier to say it rudely, because you are mad, and shouting or griping is easiest. But in a way, yes - it's just as easy to speak nicely as it is to speak crossly.

I tucked that thought away for future reference.

Self-control. It's a fruit of the spirit; therefore, it's something I know my Heavenly Father wants to give me. This isn't a prayer request that I have to suffice with "if it's Your will..." I know He wants to give me self-control. All I must do is ask with faith.

No comments: