Monday, July 6, 2009

Joy, Plants, and Patrick Henry

Tomato plants (near 8 feet tall!) Heather is standing.

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God, for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations." Isaiah 61:10-11


Me with our beet harvest. The herb bed is behind me on the left, and behind me on the right you can see the zucchini plant leaves.


And one more, because I can't resist. This is my over-6-foot-tall brother next to the tomato plants. These pictures were taken awhile ago. The plants are taller now. The corn you see in the foreground is bearing ears that are ready to be picked!


It's not just the dirt. It's not just the plants. There's something about a garden that invites God to speak to your heart. I know not everyone gets "in" to gardening, but I can't help that. I really think there's something to be said for the fact that God put the first man and woman in a garden. I can't explain it, but there's something about a garden that makes me want to cry and laugh at the same time. Some of my happiest hours are spent there.

Now you know why my posts aren't coming as regularly. :)

No, actually, I can't give that excuse. Summer in general is my time-thief, and yours as well, I'm sure. I hope y'all had a lovely Independence Day on Saturday.

Does anyone know where I can find an online copy of the speech Patrick Henry gave to the signers of the Declaration of Independence, just before they placed their names on that historic document? I heard it read for the first time in church yesterday, and it moved me to tears.

If such a speech, decked with references to the Almighty, and dripping with love for freedom and fellowman, read aloud 230-some years after it was spoken, can create the response it did yesterday in our church building, I can't imagine the way it moved hearts in the hour Henry cried it. I would love to share it here, but I don't know where to find it. Can any of you help me?

2 comments:

Kristie McNealy said...

Amber-

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fourth-of-july/give-me-liberty.html

-Kristie

Amber said...

Kristie -

No, the speech I have in mind is not the more famous one which ends in "give me liberty or give me death." The one I'm thinking of has Patrick Henry repeating over and over "Sign! Sign!" as he urges the men to put their names to the Declaration of Independence.

Both speeches are good, though, and inspiring to read! Thank you for the link. If you happen to find the other speech, I'd really be glad if you let me know. Thank you very much anyway!!!!!

-Amber