Friday, June 26, 2009

An Entry

Have you ever wondered what is must have been like when Jesus returned to Heaven?

Okay - I know He's God, and it's kinda funny to talk about Him not being somewhere, but as a man He had chosen to limit Himself to one place, and that one place was earth, not heaven. He'd been gone from there 33 whole years. No doubt my view of things is warped, as a human, but that seems like a long time to be away from anywhere, especially a place so wonderful as Heaven - where my Father dwells.

He left.

Those words alone must have caused great sorrow among the angels, but to have Him return and bless them with His presence again must have made them shout for joy! I think of myself as having a pretty good imagination, but this scene is beyond me. I don't know enough about Heaven, and angels - not to mention God the Father and His Son - to picture this in my mind. ...But somewhere inside me, beyond the reach of my mind's eye, I can feel what it must have been like. The very ground must have trembled.

The day He left earth and returned to Heaven...what rejoicing must have taken place among the hosts of Heaven! He had gone to earth as a humble baby. He returned as a conquering King. He had defeated death, and now led captivity captive. No doubt many more souls were in Heaven the day He returned than when He left - now they welcomed their King they had longed to see, and proclaimed His goodness and righteousness that enabled them to be there.

Jesus had fulfilled the Father's grand plan of the ages. He had completed the sacrifice that had been planned before the foundations of the earth were laid. No longer was His death in the future - it was finished! Nothing stood between man and God. The blood debt had been paid, the substitution made for those who were also called before the foundations of the earth were laid. His children had been bought. This was no suffering dying saviour who entered Heaven's gates, but the very Son of God in all His splendor - the Lamb looking as if it had been slain. The King of Kings, and LORD of Lords. The King of glory! Brilliantly bright in His light, awesomely strong in His power, and full of goodness and truth.

We have wished that we were there to see Jesus triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Can you imagine this entry, this march of victory? No Pharisees spoiled this march. No tears were shed over the city as He approached. This was grand, glorious, and perfect.

We hope to hear our Father say "well done, thou good and faithful servant" when we enter Heaven's gates, but can you imagine what the Father said to this Son? I don't think any language on earth could effectively translate whatever it was He said, but I'm sure it included the words "well done," and I can't imagine the volume with which those words were said. The golden streets themselves must have vibrated with the voice of the One who welcomed His Son.

What a day it must have been. Those gates - shut through all ages until the One worthy to enter had come - lifted up their heads and opened to the King of Glory. And I'm certain all of Heaven rang.


Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
Who is this King of glory? The LORD hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.
Psalm 24: 7-10

4 comments:

Leah said...

Beautiful.
I was thinking of those verses as I read this, then there they were! :) This reminds me of a sermon by Paul Washer where he talks about this, that was the first time I had really thought about that triumphant entry.
Oh, how wonderful it must have been! But, we WILL get to see Him return... we will be there one way or the other! What a day that will be!

Ruth Ann said...

Amber,

This is beautiful and well-said. As I read, I was drawn into your train of thought and really encouraged. Thank you for writing this! =) Our God truly is an awesome God!!

Blessings,
Ruth Ann

PS: Thanks also for what you have written here for a reminder before we comment. I've read it before, but read it again and was really encouraged. We do need to be reminded that we will give account for our words, and to not be foolish or idle in our speaking. I know that I have before gotten caught up in 'commenting' just because there was a post, and 'filling the air' with words, but I've kinda felt convicted to back off and speak less, so I can hear more. :) If that makes any sense... I just really appreciate your sober-mindedness and clear-thinking, which sadly is rare amongst Christians. I am always blessed to see other young ladies and gentlemen [and older ones too!] truly seeking to follow the path of their King!!! Thanks again...now I just hope I haven't said too much on my rare comment. =)

Amber said...

Amen, Leah - how wonderful it will be to see Him return someday!

Ruth Ann; thank you for your encouragement. I'm glad you commented. :) I hadn't received any comments for awhile, and was wondering if anyone was even reading what I was writing. :) It makes me so happy to know you not only read it, but was moved by it. As a writer, that really encourages me. It makes me want to think more about these kinds of things, and write more about them, because you know what? I get "drawn into my train of thought" too, and reading through this blog post gives me tingles. ...Not because I'm a super writer, but because thinking about spiritual things is good for me, just like anybody else. :)

And I guess if you said too much than so have I. lol.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thought to read about just before I head off to sleep :o) Thanks for posting that!